Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins


Another item I made for Monday's meeting (I can't make just ONE thing, right?!) was Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. Oh so delicious. I got this recipe from Sisters Cafe. These were by far my favorite out of the two muffins I made.

I was hesitant about using 2 cups of whole wheat flour as oftentimes, this will result in a dry and overly grainy baked good. I was, however, pleasantly surprised to find that the recipe resulted in moist and wholesome goodness. I couldn't believe that these were somewhat healthy for you. Next time, I would use mini chocolate chips because I made mini muffins, or simply make big muffins if I used "regular-sized" chocolate chips.

So good! Melanie, from Sisters Cafe, was nice enough to explain that her recipe came from the King Arthur Flours Cookbook. She highly recommends it, by the way. The recipe can be found on page 546.

Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
from Sisters Cafe, submitted by Melanie

1/2 cup butter (1 stick or 4 ounces)
1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1/4 cup honey
2 large eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 Cups chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350. Line or grease a 12 cup muffin pan (or like I did, your mini muffin pan).

Beat together the butter, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Add the banana, honey and eggs, beating until smooth. Add the flour and chocolate chips, stirring until smooth. Divide batter into the muffin cups, they'll be nearly full. Bake the muffins until a cake tester inserted in the center of one comes out clean, 23-28 minutes (My mini muffins took 15 minutes to bake). Remove from oven and after a couple of minutes transfer the muffins to a rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment